Thursday, July 7, 2011

Don Zarape #2 - Taco

Don Zarape Restaurant #2 Mexican & Sea Food - 5560 Vineland Ave. North Hollywood, CA 91601(Vineland and Burbank)
Tastebikebikebikebike
Presentationbikebikebikebike
Atmospherebikebikebike
Servicebikebikebike
Valuebikebikebikebike
GreaseFactorbikebikebikebike
Part #1 | Part #2 | Part #3
beeftacoI randomly selected Don Zarape #2 for the third and final stop on my taco hop up and down Vineland. I was filling up fast so I was hoping that this destination was going to be a good one. The restaurant is across the street from that big marquis of that creepy Circus Liquor clown. That is besides any point, I just wanted to take a picture of it. The actual restaurant was seemingly authentic due to the fact that there were Mexicans dining there. Behind the counter there was a guy grabbing balls of paste, flattening them in a press, and throwing them on the griddle. He was making tortillas! I have never seen this process done before. Goes to show what I know about real Mexican eatin. I have been improving my knowledge of Mexican culture in L.A. through my taco eating, plus I have Rosetta Stone Espanola vol. 1. I had many trials and tribulations with chips and salsa on this day. Don Zarape did things right by giving me an entire bowl of salsa and an entire basket of chips that were both outstanding. When the tacos came, they were messy, excessive, gaudy, bombastic, and I loved every moment of it. creepyclownThey were like the Cadillac Escalade of hard-shell tacos. The tacos were blinged out with loads beef, cheese and sour cream pouring out of their freshly fried, freshly pressed shells. The beef was not ground to a paste, nor was it a stringy mess, but rather tender cuts of succulently greasy beef nuggets piled to perfection. Now I’m not one to anoint a place or a meal on one experience, but I will say that the Don Zarape #2 hard-shell beef taco transcends all other hard shell tacos I have had before it. AND, two of these tacos, a basket of chips, a bowl of salsa, and Coke in the bottle for $6.00 was the perfect way to end a taco run in North Hollywood.
chipsandsalsaextdiningroom

No comments:

Post a Comment